Thursday, February 25, 2016

Radio Ceylon, the trailblazer that was !

By Dr Upul Wiayawardhana

In spite of the likelihood that I may be accused of dwelling on the glories of our bygone days, a favourite pastime of ours, I would fail in my duty if I do not share what I discovered, by sheer accident,about an institution I was associated with in my youth. Listening to 'Radio Ceylon' on a 'valve' radio with a creaky sound, in spite of a huge aerial drawn across the two tallest coconut trees in our garden, was the main source of entertainment in our childhood. It was a time when, fortunately for us, children's programmes were at their zenith and soon Karunaratna Abeysekara, better known as 'Karuayya', became my idol.

Read the article here :

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=140599

Via Alokesh Gupta